Interesting side by side

Growing plants using nutrient solutions, without soil.

Moderators: chilliman64, Ben123, Kathy, Wilf

horsebones
Hot Head
Hot Head

Interesting side by side

Post by horsebones » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:43 am

So these two are both Apricot habs, the same age, same container, same light, same nutrients and schedule. Both are in coco, but I think one has some char-wood charcoal powder mixed in. I'm guessing it's either deficiency (iron or sulphur perhaps), or some kind of light burn (the yellow one was perhaps a little more directly under the led than the other).

fishmantom
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Interesting side by side

Post by fishmantom » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:29 am

Wow! yes a very noticeable difference. it doesn't look like too much light to me, in my limited experience. Looks like, as you say some sort of deficiency, maybe in the one without the charcoal powder. It could even be the one with the charcoal as I know from fishkeeping. Charcoal or activated carbon as they call it fishkeeping will initially absorb nutrients until it is full and then it will start slowly releasing them back. So maybe it collected and stored nutrients in the coir whereas in the one without, the plant got all the nutrient.
just some ideas someone else may be more help.

Happy growing! :mrgreen:

horsebones
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by horsebones » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:47 am

Yes, I was wondering if the activated carbon might have something to do with it. I just took them out of the pots and the yellow one has the activated carbon. I wonder how long activated carbon needs before it composts down?

willard3
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by willard3 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:49 pm

The carbon will also change the Ph. Nutrient uptake suffers from poor Ph control.

horsebones
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by horsebones » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:01 pm

willard3 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:49 pm
The carbon will also change the Ph. Nutrient uptake suffers from poor Ph control.
Good point. It's probably iron deficiency then because sulphur uptake seems fine at higher pH, but iron suffers.