Information & swaps

Moderators: Wilf, Kathy, chilliman64

silvercue
Seedling
Seedling

Old Seeds - Still good?

Post by silvercue » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:57 am

Hi everyone,

I have had a few seasons off but want to grow a modest batch of say 15 plants.

I have some seeds in open packets in an envelope. They have been kept dry and dark but are a few years old. Are they likely to be poor or useless now, or can the seeds las for years like this?

Thanks in advance

Mitzi
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Old Seeds - Still good?

Post by Mitzi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:31 pm

It varies a lot. Chilli seeds don't seem to have a great deal of longevity, unlike some other seeds. Last year I successfully grew some seeds which were saved in 2014 but it's hit and miss. Have they been kept at a stable temperature? You don't lose anything by trying (except wasting a bit of time.) Personally I'd soak them well then try them on damp tissue in a warm place and see if they grow.

When I'm soaking seeds (in warm water) I leave them in there until they sink. If they just float persistently then in my experience they are unlikely to germinate.

silvercue
Seedling
Seedling

Post by silvercue » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. Time is not my friend, which is a big part of the reason I have been chilli dormant recently!

Rather than take the risk, I will try to get some new ones.

Mitzi
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Mitzi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:15 pm

You could try them while you're waiting for the new ones to arrive! Don't just throw them out without at least giving them a chance - you may be pleasantly surprised!

Anything in particular you're looking for?

There's no shame in buying plug plants if it gets too late to sow seeds. There's a much wider selection available than ever before - chilli growing seems to be becoming quite mainstream now, with garden centres and supermarkets all stocking a good variety and of course there's even more choice online.