Any idea what causes this, photo included.

Growin to Harvesting

Moderators: chilliman64, Wilf, Kathy

Daytrader
Hot Head
Hot Head

Any idea what causes this, photo included.

Post by Daytrader »

Guys any ideal what causes this, on my fatallis and had it also on my scotch bonnetts, but the first ripe batches of pods were perfect, its just the pods that were ripening in the last like month, looked like the pods were splitting, then going black/bruising on the splits ? my paper lanterns and lemon drops were ok thou, any thoughts, goin to post this in disease forum also just in case, oh, and would you still use them, was going to dry and make powder or freeze, or would you chuck them.

chilliman64

Re: Any ideal what causes this, photo included.

Post by chilliman64 »

I've had this before with orange habs and thought it may be due to rapid growth similar to corking in jalapenos. high levels of rain or watering and lots of sun combine allowing the fruit to mature rapidly. think of it like stretch marks for chillies. do a quick google on corking and though the pics look a bit different I reckon it's the same thing, just that jals have a tougher/thicker skin to your peppers. then again I could be totally wrong.

I reckon your peppers would be fine to freeze, dry, make mash etc. beauty is only skin deep and doubt there'd be anything wrong with them.

Daytrader
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Any idea what causes this, photo included.

Post by Daytrader »

Thx for reply mate, yes the marks are just skin deep, i did do a google, and came up with what you said, i also had alot of tomatoes splitting as well, i grow these fatalli in chillgrow and quadgrows, maybe they were getting to much constant water, but anyway, i just froze them in the end, because there all grown organically, just because it looks bad, i guess it wont do be any harm anyway, thx