What are your ways of germinating?

Growin to Harvesting

Moderators: chilliman64, Wilf, Kathy

SteveS
Seedling
Seedling

What are your ways of germinating?

Post by SteveS »

As with all seeds All i have done is soak the seeds in warm water for 30minutes or so then sow direct into compost.

Is there a better method?

willard3
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Re: What are your ways of germinating?

Post by willard3 »

Germination temp should be 80-85F, measure it, don't guess.

Wash your hands and tools.

Get a zip lock bag and a sheet of paper towel

Spread seeds on paper towel and fold in half

Insert paper towel in baggie and wet the paper towel.....wet, not soppy......seal the bag

Wait.............

SteveS
Seedling
Seedling

Post by SteveS »

So you find that works best then.. How long do you leave the seeds in the bag for?

louise
Seedling
Seedling

Post by louise »

i take the seeds and dry them for a day only, and put them in a shallow tray of seed compost, which is wet. cover again with compost, and into a polythene bag, sit the tray on top of my double radiator, and wait for them to germinate, sometimes takes a few weeks. Tend to sew naga chillis early in the year as they take a long time to germinate and grow.

hicksash

Post by hicksash »

SteveS wrote:So you find that works best then.. How long do you leave the seeds in the bag for?
Unil they have started to sprout and then sow them into some soil to finish off.

SteveS
Seedling
Seedling

Post by SteveS »

The first link worked.. :)

That's interesting. How did you manage this, you clearly didn't jump drop the seeds in because of the condensation...?

fresno-col

Post by fresno-col »

Soak in luke warm water for an hour or so then pour off water through a strainer.
Replace damp seeds in jar and swirl so they stick to sides. Screw on lid.
Put in airing cupboard. You can see when they have sprouted without disturbing them.

SteveS
Seedling
Seedling

Post by SteveS »

I love this idea. I assume you have great rates over other methods?

fresno-col

Post by fresno-col »

I don't have any other methods, I do everything like this.
Some seeds take longer than others. In this case I change the water now and then to prevent rotting.
There is a very good, visible, germination rate.

Hang on, I mean put water in jar to re-wash seeds then pour it off again.

SteveS
Seedling
Seedling

Post by SteveS »

So you leave "some" water in the jar too? and change when it gets "dirty"?

EDIT, just seen your edit. so you just wash the seeds and place back in. no real water left in the jar, just damp..
Last edited by SteveS on Tue May 08, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fresno-col

Post by fresno-col »

That's it. This has the advantage of showing you what has germinated of course.
When they have you just wash them out into a strainer and tweezer sprouted ones into pots.
It's pretty late for chillies now but you could try some annums and have little plants for the beginning of June.
They are supposed to do their thing in about 3 months.
Fresnos and Cayennes are good.

hicksash

Post by hicksash »

Not sure that methods such as these give any better germination rates but at least you can see what can be put in muck and what will refuse to do anything.

I use a variation on the bag method which works for me simply because I am an impatient sod and always want to see whats going on. Most of us use a different way of doing it but get the same results - plants.
It is a topic that comes up a lot and often sparks some debate.

fresno-col

Post by fresno-col »

Anther point in favour of the jam jar method is that it's quick, not so much messing about.
Gives the wife less time to realise that you are a bit of a dingbat. :lol:
Works for me.

MightyGusset

Post by MightyGusset »

I sow my seeds in small pots 2/3 filled with damp compost, which I then put in an old shoebox in the top of the airing cupboard.
Most seeds germinate and pop up a loop inside 5 days, they then come out of the airing cupboard and onto a sunny windowsill.
Once my plants get to a decent height I fill the pots with compost and leave them on the windowsill until it's time to pot them on.

Alexfeetham

Post by Alexfeetham »

I simply put mine in some compost in a propagator in the airing cupboard and prayed! Seems to have worked pretty well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

eaglerock

Post by eaglerock »

willard3 wrote:Germination temp should be 80-85F, measure it, don't guess.

Wash your hands and tools.

Get a zip lock bag and a sheet of paper towel

Spread seeds on paper towel and fold in half

Insert paper towel in baggie and wet the paper towel.....wet, not soppy......seal the bag

Wait.............

I do the same and it works very well :)

louise
Seedling
Seedling

Post by louise »

just to add to my previous post, i received a chilli pod from a friend who brought it back from Mauritius. i didnt plant it straight away as my house is a bit full of chilli plants at the moment. So left the chilli pod on a window ledge. A couple of days later noticed it was getting black at the bottom end so quickly got all the seeds and sprinkled them on wet compost in a clear plastic tray. left this on my double radiator, and 3 days later all of the seeds have germinated, all 75 of them! didnt realise there were so many when i sprinkled them out, and did not expect all of them to germinate. Just have to wait and see if they all survive and what kind of plants i get, how quickly they grow etc. I had a similar experience last year growing naga morich, used an overripe naga, about to rot, didnt dry the seeds, straight into the tray, and within 10days had germinated. I think the fresher the seed and the riper the chilli has a lot to do with germination results.

SteveS
Seedling
Seedling

Post by SteveS »

So really, it seems just damp seeds and heat do it. nothing else needed.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez »

There's also the floating raft method. You'll find it recommended by snagglepuss and bluesman amongst others. Use search.
Moisture, the right temperature and patience will work. Which method's best is what's convenient for you. With old seed or temperamental varieties it may be worth soaking/priming. Check experiment's posts on this.

Ben123
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Ben123 »

I use these little plastic pots that come with my curries, they hold the mango chutney/lime pickle etc

Usual paper towel method but I think it's easier to check without disturbing the seeds, just peel back the flap of the folded paper towel and get instantly disappointed....

Ben.

ultimateangling

Post by ultimateangling »

I use a cheap and cheerful heated propagator (about £15 from most DIY chains / eBay).
I soak my seeds overnight in water, gently put them in little rows about 3 inches apart and a few mm deep in damp seeding compost.
Put the lid on, gently spray the surface when it looks dry and leave alone. Takes a couple of weeks to germinate them and the last couple of years I've been getting about a 85-90% success rate (from seeds I dried myself the year before). I can grow a years worth of plants (about 40) from one run in the propagator and cast out the weaker looking ones.

madcat

Post by madcat »

I use a heated propagator, I plant about 4seeds to small pot in potting compost and pot them into individual pots when they have true leaves. They then hang out on the bathroom or front room window sills and are potted on again before being put into their final pots and settled into the greenhouse.

Palendrone
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Palendrone »

Arthur Bowers with John Innes seed compost at 50% with 25% each vermiculite and perlite, sow seeds 5mm deep and moisten - this all done in a garland super 7 windowsill geared proporgator.

Garranath

Post by Garranath »

My way of Germinating chillis.
fill small pot with 2/3 with compost
make a small hole about 2cm deep place seed in
cover loosely with compost
drop warm water in center of the pot until soil is clearly wet (not soaking).
place pot in heated propagator and leave it for up to a month (some seeds can be stubborn).
keeping the soil wet, not letting it get dry.