Growin to Harvesting

Moderators: chilliman64, Wilf, Kathy

markdford6656
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Rocotos temperatures.

Post by markdford6656 »

Hi Guy's,
The threat of snow and freezing temperatures every other week has forced me to keep too many plants indoors longer than planned.
My Rocotos are now spreading and screaming out for much bigger pots which I can't house at home.
I'd like to move them to my poly tunnel but I'm worried night time temps might see them off.
What are the lowest sustained temps Rocotos will cope with without damage?
Any advice would be awesome.
Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Rocotos temperatures.

Post by Heefy »

I would have to guess at around zero degrees C. They will take a light frost, if it for a few hours and they are in a poly tunnel. I kept around 5 in my greenhouse at the end of last year and wrapped the pots in bubble wrap, raised them off the floor and had a load of fleece to cover them with at night. They lasted the course, until they had fruited. Having said that, the end of last year wasn’t overly cold, from memory.

I would say you have about 4 weeks left, can they not stay in the smaller pots indoors? At least you know 100% they will survive. It may well force them into early flowering, so keep a close eye out.

Plan B. Build a smaller well insulated tunnel within the existing one and raise them off the floor and use fleece and or a heat source. Cover them at night with fleece.

Have you got electricity to the tunnel? Or a gas heater? Or even a warming compost bin you could pop in the tunnel for continuous heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mitzi
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Mitzi »

I have no experience with rocotos (this being my first year growing them, but I'd be wary of putting any young plants out yet. Just because mature plants can stand low temperatures doesn't mean that young, tender ones can.

Can you perhaps move them in and out for a while, bringing them back indoors when cold temps are forecast?

markdford6656
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by markdford6656 »

Thanks for the quick replies.
These really are awesome forums.

I like the idea of secondary greenhouse inside the tunnel.
I have no electricity down there,so extra lagging seems the way to go.
I have some spare timber,and some poly tunnel polythene left by the previous tenant.
I'll see what I can come up with.

I'll keep an eye on temps and maybe try a plant or two down there in a week or two.

I'll try toughening them up a bit before then as well.

Thanks again.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk