Growin to Harvesting

Moderators: chilliman64, Wilf, Kathy

Richakn
Seedling
Seedling

Novice needs help

Post by Richakn »

Hi,

I’m trying to grow chili plants from seed for the first time. I have a small plastic grow kit under a grow light and the plants have emerged after two weeks. At some point I need to transfer them to the garden. I read to wait until they are 3-4 inches tall.

I used the little peat pods and seeded 2-3 seeds per pod, so each pod has 2-3 plants emerging. Each pod is about 2 inches in diameter.

Can I simply plant the pod into the garden or do I need to separate the plants (which seems like it would be hard thing to do and possibly damage the plants).

Any advice would be welcome.

phillyb86
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Novice needs help

Post by phillyb86 »

Firstly welcome.

Personally I would pot it up into a pot first and sacrifice plants to leave 1 plant per peat pellet. If you can they will need to be in a greenhouse depending on variety. Otherwise they will need to be in a sheltered sunny spot. Before they go out they will need to hardened off and gradually introduced to sunlight and fluctuating temps. They won't last through the nights at the minute unless in a heated greenhouse. Normally night temps around 10c are needed.

Lastly good luck with your grow and keep us updated

Richakn
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Richakn »

Thank you - I should have added that I live in the US (in Virginia) so temperatures right now are a little higher than the UK. That said, I do plan to keep them inside for a little longer and then slowly introduce them to the sun.

You mention you would move them into a pot first and sacrifice plants. How do you 'sacrifice' plants - will that happen naturally in the pot as they compete for space or do I need to physcially seperate them before I move to the pot? I was thinking when I planted them that I would just lift and shift the little peat pods into a pot or garden bed, but then I wasn't expecting all 3 seeds to sprout.......

phillyb86
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by phillyb86 »

You will have a much better climate then lol. When I say sacrifice a plant, if you sown 3 seeds per pellet and 3 seedlings appeared in 1 pellet then I'd be killing off the 2 weaker looking ones. You could try separating them if you wish but I try and minimise any root disturbance.
I would definitely pot up at least once before planting into a bed if that's what you plan on doing.

Richakn
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Richakn »

Thank you - so killing off means just snipping he plant at the base?

Richakn
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Richakn »

And just to be clear, it looks like I'm getting 1 plant per seed - so 3 total per pod. If I look at the pods there are many with 2 to 3 distinct plants (v mutliple plants from one seed)

I'd add an image if I knew how to!

phillyb86
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by phillyb86 »

There is a guide in the FAQ section. Or if you are using tapatalk app it's easier to upload

phillyb86
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by phillyb86 »

Here is an example of 1 plant in a peat pellet. Image
If you have more than 1 plant in a pellet I'd be snipping the weaker 1 at the base yes.

I hope this is what you mean lol

Richakn
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Richakn »

That’s exactly what I mean. I’ve got 2 to 3 small plants (2 inch high) in each pod. I’ll snip down to get to one.

At what height would transfer them to a planter/foam cup?

phillyb86
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by phillyb86 »

If there are roots poking out the bottom of the pellet then I'd be potting it up. If not then leave until they do show roots