Growin to Harvesting

Moderators: chilliman64, Wilf, Kathy

PokerBob
Seedling
Seedling

End Of Season Composting

Post by PokerBob »

Hi all

At the end of the season after the chilli's have been harvested, can i put my spent potting mix and chilli plants together straight into a composter along with the other greens/leaves/browns etc dumped throughout the year, or should i rejuvinate the potting mix seperately by adding fertilisers and stuff as demonstrated on a plethora of youtube video's.

i'm a newbie to both growing chilli's and never had a garden composter before, so apologies if this is a dumb question, but nowhere can i find infomation on dumping spent potting mix into one, and i want to be as 'green' as i can, and not to have to purchase & transport lots of new compost mix every year as well as disposing of the old stuff

i realise that if i suspect any disease or infestation then not to use those, and to put different types of compost material in different layers & turn every week or two to get airflow, so adding a bit at a time to the composter is no problem, but i wanted to make sure that there was nothing else i should do.

the bin will be 300L, and i expect i'll be using no more then 100L potting mix this year so what do those in the know think, as any help and tips would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Bob

snagglepuss
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: End Of Season Composting

Post by snagglepuss »

Some shake off as much compost from the plant & reuse by adding extra bits to it but I tend to just throw the lot on my compost pile.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk