Could cold water cause flower drop?

Growin to Harvesting

Moderators: chilliman64, Wilf, Kathy

horsebones
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Could cold water cause flower drop?

Post by horsebones »

A while ago, I was watching a youtube video and part of it featured some Russians with flower/vegetable gardens. They collected rainwater for their gardens in barrels from the roof, and said they only water from the barrels, and only when the sun has warmed up the water, as the plants don't like cold water.

I've suffered with flower drop a lot in my growing history, and I've tried many things without success. I currently have a jalapeno which had gone though 2 blooms with flower drop. I thought back to the advice from the video, and decided to start watering my plants with warm tap water with the third bloom of flowers. I don't know if this is just coincidence, but I now have one pepper growing, and all the other blooms look quite healthy.

If you are having flower drop and want to try something, maybe give this a go. I would be interested to hear your opinions too. I've also googled some keywords on the subject, looking to get some more insight on the topic, but haven't found anything.

Daytrader
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Could cold water cause flower drop?

Post by Daytrader »

On my overwintered plants i been taking 100's off buds off my plants, way to early, i will not allow buds until at least May to start developing on my plants, also it looks like all my seeds i have planted will be going to waste, as there is no way of getting this years compost, so will leave it until next year now, scary times with this virus hitting us all.

willard3
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by willard3 »

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

chilliman64

Post by chilliman64 »

I always wear a red hat when watering my plants - that's all I've got to say about that